Lawn lawn mowers
1. Tips on Choosing the right "MOWER"
A wrong choice will leave you saddled with something which, while it may be adequate for the job in hand, is wrong enough to be damned annoying.
Rotary lawn mowers
1.A Simple and versatile mower is what a choice should be , as it must be used for most of the mowing problems ( Yeah ! you cant get one mower for a lawn and an other for orchard . How you ask me , its done like this , Raise the cutting height and use on the orchards , then lower the height and use it in your lawn ).
2. Look and ask your dealer about the "Tip Speed" . Tip speed is the speed at which the tip of the blade rotates in relation to its speed over the ground . So this decides the final effect your lawn has . If the machine is pushed by the operator (not a nice thought) then he or she can walk at different speeds to obtain a different effect . So look out for the Tip Speed .
Cylinder lawn mowers
1. For a outstanding lawn , choose one with a professional engine , worth your investment .
2. Consider buying a Second hand mower , if its worth it .With regular maintainance from there on , it should be fit as a fiddle .
3. When buying a new mower try to get one with "Click Adjusters" . These make life very much easier, as all you need to do when the mower starts to "go off" is give the adjusters a tweak to restore the cut to excellent .
2. Tips on Buying
Take these steps when you are preparing to purchase a lawn mower:
1. Carefully walk around your lawn. Is it smooth? Does it have shady spots that are always wet? Does it have a problem with surface roots from a tree? What kind of obstacles are on the lawn? Planter boxes, trees, bushes, patios, walls, and other obstacles can make maneuverability a very important factor. Is your lawn level, or is it on a slope? Since it is usually difficult to push a mower uphill, a self-propelled lawn mowers may be the most prudent choice for a sloping lawn.
2. Take a realistic look at yourself. Do you really enjoy working in the yard? If not, you will probably hire a gardener in a month or two. If you do enjoy working in the yard, will you also feel comfortable cleaning the air filter, changing the oil, and checking spark plugs? A good quality mower will last for many years if it is maintained properly. A poorly maintained mower will soon have to be replaced.
3. The next thing to consider is your budget. What can you realistically afford? How long will you live in this home? Will you need your mower in two years? Five years?
3. Tips on "Mowing"
1. Try to vary your "mowing" direction . Try going up and down the lawn one week and across it the next.
2. Try cutting the lawn on the diagonal ( This ones great !! ) .
3. For a Tournament standard , a cut between 1/4" and 3/8" is recommended .
4. Crowquet lawn is mown 2-3 times a week but ideally it would be cut daily .
5. Frequent low mowing discourages weeds and produces a tight sward.
6. It is recommended that no more than 1/3rd of the growing height of the grass is removed in each mowing otherwise the grass is unduly weakened.
7. It is desirable on a flat lawn to have a wide mower to reduce the time and distance walked to cut the lawn. If the lawn is not flat then a wide mower will snag on regions of curvature and scalp the grass; a narrower mower will do less damage to the lawn and itself .
8. Caution : If you have a petrol mower it represents a fire hazard , hence store only a small amount of fuel onsite. If you own a big lawn , try refilling off the lawn .
4. Tips on Maintainance
1. Regular maintainance activities like Oil changes ( about 2 a year ) , Jet washing , applying Grease , Backlapping are a must .
2. Maintain a simple Maintainance Schedule and follow it properly . ( This ought to get you outta most problems ) .
3. Oil all the pivot points , on controls , cables etc ..
4. If the blade is a little dull , you can shine it with a file . But take caution in maintaining the balance on the blade . An unusual cut seriously destroy your lawn .
5. If your collecting rotary doesn't collect properly , then it is most propably that , it is stuck , have a glance under , and clean it out . ( Remember to remove the Spark Plug Lead though )
6. Clean the cloth bag regularly , either with a regular hose , or a power hose . If you cant get the bag clean , consider soaking the bag in a bucket of washing power , and then hose it (This got to do the trick ) . If that doesnt help, try replacing the bag .
5. Tips on maintaining your Lawn
1. Water less frequently but deeply .
2. Cut grass , only to recommended cutting height ,of about 10mm .
3. Aerate your lawn , by poking holes in them .
4. Use "Organic Fertilizers " . Faeces may feel like "Hell" stinking , but they are the best . Avoid Grow More Fertilizers , when you have this choice .
5. Use a Scarifier , to comb your lawn , but do be cautious about patches .
6. "Weed killers are on Warm days" , thats the saying .
7. The final stage is to over seed in the autumn (October) and then top dress again with a 50% peat and 50% sand mixture.
6. Tips for Safety
1. Always read the instruction manual before operating your lawn mower. I know it sounds boring but there is a very good reason you are supposed to read it (didnt you ever wonder why you were never able to set the time on your vcr?).
2. Always pick up all foreign objects before you start mowing. Types of items that can adversely affect your mower are rocks, branches (even small twigs sometimes), kids toys, hoses.
3. Dont allow children or pets to play in the yard while you are mowing the lawn.
4. Take note of what the instruction manual says about handling your lawn mowers. If it says to push it then dont pull it. Sounds obvious, but some lawn mowers are built to go in a specific direction.
5. Dont fill the tank of the lawn mowers with gas in an enclosed area such as under the house, in a garage or in a shed. This can lead to a buildup of combustible fumes.
6. Dont smoke anything and keep any other kind of open flame far away while filling your gas tank.
7. Avoid storing oil, gas and petrol in unmarked containers, especially containers that have been previously used for something edible.
8. Dont add fuel to your lawn mower while the engine is running or the mower is still hot.
9. Fill your gas tank before starting your mowing each time you use your mower.
10. Young kids should not be allowed to operate your lawn mowers. If you are going to let your child operate your lawn mowers make sure you give them clear instructions and a full safety briefing before they begin and, depending on their age, never leave them alone.
11. Remove the spark plug before doing any maintenance work on your lawn mowers.
12. Do not start the engine while you are inside any type of enclosed area (shed, building etc). This could lead to a toxic build up of fumes.
13. Dont walk away from the lawn mowers while the engine is running. If you do have to walk away a short distance (such as to carry mulch) make sure you keep a good eye on the lawn mowers at all times.
14. If you need to make some types of adjustments to the lawn mowers mechanics then always make sure that the engine is switched off.
15. Always wear closed shoes and long pants while mowing.
16. Keep well clear of the discharge chute during lawn mowing as dangerous objects can be hurled at quite a velocity from the chute.
This is how professional grounds keepers get such a smooth, velvety finish.